Wednesday, December 2, 2009

So What's So Bad About Used-Car Salesmen?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that used car salesmen are looked upon as some of the lowest forms of humanity in existence. I don't think that it's too far off to put them right below lawyers on the Least Liked List (from now on the Least Liked List will be referred to the 3L). Although that may be a little harsh, the common perception is that they are the ones who are always dealing crappy cars for premium prices. I'm sure that definitiely does happen, but i would like to bring an up an example of when the buyer stuck it to the seller.

In the movie Transformers, Sam goes with his dad to buy his first car. After a little bit of shopping, they decide to get an old beat-up yellow camaro. They pay a hefty price for a car in rough shape, but the car turned out to be much more than they could ever anticipate. Not only did that car have the ability to turn into a new Camaro (a value increase of about $35,000), it had the ability to transform into a giant war robot. Now, i'm not really up to date on the value of a Transformer, but let's just say $100 million. So who do you think got the short end of the stick on this one? Yep, chalk one up for the buyer!

But thinking about how successful car salesmen already are, just think about how successful they could be if they had a special power. What if there was one that could use Jedi mind tricks on a buyer? Right when he's trying to sell you a car that you are not even interested in or need, he does the little hand motion and says "This is the car you're looking for" and then you reply "This is the car i'm looking for" and then you buy the dang thing. Just be grateful that your used car salesman isn't a Jedi.

Although used-car salesmen rank relatively high on the 3L, i still think it could be much worse. i mean, some things aren't always as they seem. Maybe they're just grossly misunderstood. But anyhow, just remember that the next time that you buy a used car, you could be buying a Transformer. I don't know the odds of that happening, but i'll take my chances and buy a used car!

1 comment:

  1. So,when I was car shopping....I stopped at the used Toyata dealer downtown (Thinking it would be a "nicer" used car dealership) and boy was I wrong! The guys forgot to turn the lights off on the cars, which in turn drained the batteries. They were miss marking the years on the cars (how upset would you be if you thought you bought a 2009 and it was really a 2007?!) and they were telling me I was being too picky after I told them I didnt want more than 50,000 miles on a car.
    Now thats what I call high class sales people!! Maybe you could learn a thing or two from them! Notice that I still have my Civic? Yeah, I think im going to stick to the Honda's from here on out

    ReplyDelete